rapidly entering (and perhaps even have already entered) an era where we are
able to print 3D objects at our desks, make and share laser-cut
gifts for friends, and use off-the-shelf tools to plug these creations
into the web and have them send status updates on our behalf. We have some
commonly-held visions of the future, but what could our very wildest
dreams (and nightmares) look like, beyond the cliché of the flying car?
What answers can we find in speculative design? Our expert guests will
explore these questions in collaboration with the audience in a
hands-on, "open think-tank" format.
this contemporary issue will be Julian Bleecker: designer, researcher
at the Design Strategic Projects studio at Nokia Design and co-founder
of Near Future Laboratory; Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino: product
designer, entrepreneur, and partner at Really Interesting Group (London);
and Anab Jain: interaction designer, founder of Superflux, and recent TED
brief talk show with Julian, Alexandra, and Anab, the audience
will have the unique opportunity to collaborate with our invited
experts in an "open think-tank": a guided speculative design session
wherein we'll address the product design challenges of the near and
Download the Blowup: The Era of Objects reader:*
Blowup Reader: The Era of Objects_PDF
1. Introduction, by Michelle Kasprzak
2. Design Futurescaping, by Anab Jain, Jon Ardern, and Justin Pickard
3. Is this thing on? Identity, robots, and spying through everyday objects, by Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino
4. Writings on the Internet of Things, by Rob van Kranenburg
5. Design Fiction, by Julian Bleecker
6. Speculation and Extrapolation, an excerpt from a longer text by Ilona Gaynor
7. Evolution of an Internet of Things, by Ana Serrano and Tim Warner
8. The Spime Arrives, by Bruce Sterling
*Because this reader contains a lot of images we decided not to publish it in the ePub or Mobi format.
Blowup: The Era of Objects (2011) from V2_ on Vimeo.
Julian Bleecker: http://www.nearfuturelaboratory.com/
Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino: http://designswarm.com/2011/
Anab Jain: http://superflux.in/