An international exhibition in MOCA, Taipei with artworks related to the past DEAF themes "Machine Times", "Information is Alive" and "Interact or Die!."
The exhibition presents an international group of artists. Their artworks and installations are related to three major themes of past editions of the Dutch Electronic Art Festival (DEAF): Machine Times, Information is Alive and Interact or Die!
Additionally ZONE_V2_ will present a two-days conference and workshop in which the artists in the exhibition and experts participate. The workshop and conference are intended for students and the emerging creative generation in Taiwan.
Electronic media like video, television, radio, film and the internet are closely intertwined with our understanding of historical time. These time-based media function as a collective memory. Our understanding of history is also closely related to the way we collect, organize and retrieve meaning and knowledge from information stored in archives and databases. But in our digital and networked age, information is not solely a tool to retrospectively look at the past: it has become an essential element for acting and interacting in the present. Nowadays we are living in databases and archives, since all our actions are monitored, stored and interpreted. Databases and archives are used to predict the future behavior of individuals and groups. Interaction tends to become an instrument for economic, social or political agendas, while interaction is basically a richer process leading to often unforeseen results producing social and cultural variation.
In the exhibition ZONE_V2_ international artists critically and playfully reflect these topics, that determine our options for acting and interacting in our contemporary society so much.
Conference and workshop
Concurrently with the exhibition a two-days conference Unstable Media will take place, about critical interaction with popular machinery and the relationship between media art and popular culture. The conference is a concept of Anne Nigten, manager of the V2_Lab.
Invited experts will present concepts and theories. Artists that participate in the exhibition will give demonstrations and talk about their work. Invited speakers (next to the participating artists) are: Kristina Andersen, the Netherlands; Anne Nigten, the Netherlands; Jun-Jieh Wang, Taiwan; Ellen Pau, Hong Kong; Manray Hsu, Taiwan.
Prior to the conference Staalplaat Soundsystem will host the workshop Made in Taiwan, where the audience can participate in the creation of an installation, made of electronic kitchen devices, which can be controlled by mobile phones. The result will be exhibited in ZONE_V2_.
MOCA releases a catalogue of the exhibition, which will be available up from mid August. Contributions in the catalogue are by: Timothy Druckrey (US), V2_ (Alex Adriaansens, Arjen Mulder, Arie Altena), with an introduction by MOCA. The catalogue contains all the artworks in the exhibition. Design by MOCA.
Opening reception: August 10 at MOCA
Conference:Unstable Media - 11 and 12 August 2007
Location: Museum of Contemporary Arts (MOCA), Taipei, Taiwan - http://www.mocataipei.org.tw/_english/index.asp
- PainStation, Enhanced Dueling Artifact, 2001 - 2004 by ////////fur//// art entertainment interfaces (Tillman Reiff, Volker Morawe), Germany
- G-Player 4 by Jens Brand, Germany
- Feed by Shane Cooper, New Zealand
- Logo.hallucination by Christoph Bruno, France
- Synthia - Stock Ticker by Lynn Hershman Leeson, United States
- Purple Rain by Joyce Hinterding, David Haines, Australia
- data.tron by Ryoji Ikeda, Japan
- Pockets Full of Memories by George Legrady, United States
- Drawn by Zachary Lieberman, United States
- Beijing Accelerator by Marnix de Nijs, the Netherlands
- Cheap Imitation by David Rokeby, Canada
- YOKOMONO by Staalplaat Soundsystem, the Netherlands
- Exactitudes by Ari Versluis and Ellie Uyttenbroek, the Netherlands
- Amazon Noir by Ubermorgen.com, Alessandro Ludovico, Paolo Cirio, Austria, Italy
- Google Will Eat Itself by Ubermorgen.com, Alessandro Ludovico, Paolo Cirio, Austria, Italy
- zgodlocator/version zII by Herwig Weiser, Austria
- Chinese Portraiture by Zhou Hongxiang, Peoples Republic of China
Artist in the screening program
In the Event of Amnesia the City Will Recall by Denis Beaubois, Australia
All is Full of Love directed by Chris Cunningham, music by Bjorg, United Kingdom
Safe Distance by New Media Center_kuda.org, Serbia
The Catalogue by Chris Oakley, United Kingdom
ZONE_V2_ is a project of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Taipei (Taiwan).
The exhibition and conference is conceived and curated by:
V2_, Institute for the Unstable Media (Rotterdam, the Netherlands).
The project is financially supported by the Mondriaan Foundation, Amsterdam, the Netherlands and the Yageo Foundation, Taipei, Taiwan.
For a full list of all sponsors please go to: